Monday, February 23, 2009
"Hip-Hop": Negative Stereotypes in Rap
When I hear the statement "Many rappers are just reinforcing negative stereotypes about urban youth and young people of color" many things come to mind. First off I do believe the statement is true but it all depends on who { rapper } your listening to. Some rappers do just reinforce the negative stereotypes by putting out things like selling drugs for money and killing others because of fights and other incidents but not all rappers do. There are rappers who strictly use this message of violence and drug use and some that dont use the messages at all, but there are those who both use these negative messages but at the same time try to stop all of the violence and drug use in the streets. As a matter of fact, my favorite rapper T.I. is one of these what you may call " Hipocritical Rappers ". For example, in his latest album, Papertrail, he has a song that depicts how violence may be cool in a song called " I'm Illy ", but tries to show how he is against the violence in his new hit " Dead and Gone ". As I said before, T.I. is my favorite rapper so I am definately not going to try and stop him from making his music or be against his messages, but he is in fact one of these hit rappers that has many fans and creates mixed messages on what is cool and what isn't. Is it cool to sell drugs, make money doing it, and fighting others for retaliation? Or is it cool to get a proper education, learn how to read and write, and finish high school so you can get a college education? That is one thing that T.I. and many other rappers need to decide on because there are too many confused teens in the streets that need help doing the right things.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment