Friday, March 27, 2009

Urban Legends Essay

Everyone has heard many urban legends in their days that make them live their lives with caution at times. I have three stories of urban legends that vary in genre but are very amusing all the same. They may or may not all be true but I’m sure that it wont make a difference in how you feel about the superstition in the end.

“Have you ever heard of the teenager who accidentally hung their self in a Halloween stunt?” one might be asked. Well most people may not know that this question isn’t one to just ask someone as a Halloween scare, it’s a very infamous fact. There in fact was an accidental hanging of a Brian Jewell of Chicago pulling off the gag on a haunted hayride. The police found no sign of foul play, just a prank gone way wrong.

I’m sure you’ve heard the legend of how if you go swimming less than an hour after you have ate that you will get a cramp so bad that you drown. Well that legend isn’t necessarily true. Yes you may get a cramp now and then while swimming but it isn’t from the food you have digested. And seeing that the food doesn’t play a part in it, it must not be able to get that horrible cramp. So go ahead kids, eat your dinner and then just get back to swimming!

Now the last tale I’d like to touch base on is the story that contains the not very well known fact that Coca Cola did indeed used to contain cocaine. Now personally until I researched this legend I always just ignored this legend and thought of it as a funny joke but it turns out that it is actually true. The only thing is that it was a very small amount of cocaine that was used in the syrup so don’t go thinking that you have been drinking straight up crack. But actually, the cocaine was removed from the drink in 1929 so unless your super old, you haven’t had any cocaine in your Coca Cola in your lifetime.

So as you have read in my stories, not all urban legends are true. So you know you cant go believing everything you hear. But then again some of the craziest urban legends are true so maybe you should rethink how you feel about superstitions. But I’ll leave that up for you to decide.

1 comment:

  1. Great work describing three different urban legends. Grade = A

    ReplyDelete